The Wednesday Hodgepodge is hosted by Joyce From This Side of the Pond
So I joined in last week with the hodgepodge and really had fun! Everyone was so nice and welcoming!
1. Do you have a sister? Tell us something about her. If you don’t have a sister, tell us about a friend who has been like a sister. Or tell us about a sister-in-law if you have one who is extra special.
I have one brother, younger than me, who is one of my best friends. And lucky me, the woman he married has become one of my best friends as well. Chrissy is one of the most compassionate and empathetic people I have ever met. She makes me laugh with her wry sarcastic sense of humor, she is always someone I can count on, she loves my child deeply, so much so that this summer she leaped into a lake fully dressed, shoes and all, when he fell off the dock, to grab him. Over the past twenty years we have shared laughs, tears, sometimes laughing until we cry! We have committed some crazy shenanigans together, danced on beaches, sat around fires, taken care of each other’s children, and pretty much been there for everything together. I would do anything for her, she is one of my people, one of my tribe. She is absolutely one of the best people I know and I am lucky to have found a sister through my brother’s marriage.
2. Resister, assister, insister, persister…choose one of the words listed and explain how it relates to you and your life lately.
Hmm. Let’s go with persister! The past few weeks have been filled with some challenges, and I just keep on keepin’ on.
3. Share a favorite song, book, movie, or television program that features sisters.
White Christmas! One of my favorite holiday movies, it also centers around the sister act of the Haynes Sisters and of course, their famous song, Sisters. Oh, and Frozen of course! And The Parent Trap!
And as for television show, back in my youth I loved watching Charmed about sisters who find out they are witches. And Little House!
Books – Sense and Sensibility (my favorite Austen story), Practical Magic, Little House on the Prairie
4. August 3rd is national watermelon day…are you a fan? Do you like watermelon flavored candy? Besides eating the melon as is, do you have a good recipe made with watermelon?
Watermelon is one of my favorites! I love both watermelon and watermelon flavored things. I had no idea there was a watermelon day out there but I am glad that there is. My husband and I eat watermelon every night together. And watermelon candy is the best , Jolly Ranchers and Sour Patch Kids in particular. And gosh, as for a recipe with watermelon I can’t say that I have one! Although I was looking at a recipe for pickled watermelon rinds the other day. I couldn’t decide how I felt about it – would it be good, or gross?
5. ‘Tis August…what are three things you’re looking forward to this month?
The Michigan Renaissance Festival, going rock hounding with my brother, SIL, and my niece, and all the fresh fruit and corn filling the farm markets!
6. Insert your own random thought here.
Yesterday was kind of a rough day, but two things made it brighter. Watching The Brokenwood Mysteries newest season with my husband (as we ate watermelon lol), and that the giant swallowtail eggs that I found on my rue hatched! Two teensy tiny little giant swallowtail caterpillars! Nature is full of wonders and everyday I find something to make me smile.